Advertisement

Don't Let Your Short Federal Prison Term Become A Life Sentence

Don't Let Your Short Federal Prison Term Become A Life Sentence Don't Let Your Short Federal Prison Term Become A Life Sentence

Going through the federal prison system can be difficult. What makes the experience so difficult is living in the land of the unknown for extended periods of time.

Before even going to federal prison, it is easy to wonder about the length of the sentence and how this will impact your reputation, career, family and so much more.

I only served 18 months in a federal prison camp. Truth be told the 18 months in the federal prison camp was the easiest part of the experience.

As I wrote in Lessons From Prison, I spent more than 3 years fighting--it was difficult and most of the time I struggled to make progress. I did not know how to prepare properly or how to work with my white collar defense lawyers. I do not know how to tell my story to people who could impact and help my future. Living in denial and blaming others precluded me from getting on a path to a better future. Even worse, I was around enablers and hired people who took my money only because they told me exactly what I wanted to hear.

In my experience as a federal prison consultant, I’ve learned I’m not alone. Since 2008 my company has guided more than 1000 white-collar defendants through the federal prison system. And during that time I have seen absolutely everything. I’ve gotten calls from defendants who had guns to their head, who were considering not surrendering to prison, and who struggled to get out of bed and brush their teeth. Others who broke the law spent their days blaming others.

I know it can be very easy to make progress through struggle. The problem is if we do not make progress whatever short term we receive in federal prison amounts to a life sentence. People tend to knock short white collar prison terms--despite my success some will say the sentence was too short to know struggle.

But the truth is without proper preparations a short prison term will absolutely amount to a life sentence. Without preparations one will come home from prison without an ability to get work or manage their family or deal with all of the collateral consequences that accompany a federal felony.

My friend, Michael Santos, conquered 26 consecutive years in prison. I met him at Taft Federal Prison Camp. He mentored me. He held me accountable. He encouraged me to find meaning and perspective through federal prison and beyond. Michael had a great deal of credibility because of his accomplishments.

Watching Michael's daily routine in prison (and now) and the dignity with which he lived inspired me to take action in federal prison. I reasoned that if he could conquer 26 years in prison I could certainly overcome my modest time in a minimum security camp.

I do not profess to be a motivational speaker. I am not. I am a person who had a lot of opportunities in life. I squandered them while working as an executive. When faced with an indictment I did not know how to respond. I made bad choices. Those choices led to a longer prison term and the lifelong stain of a felony conviction.

I overcame these consequences, in part, because of my friend and mentor. While I could not relate to his long sentence, I admired his will to become better.

If you are in struggle, find a mentor. Find someone you can learn from, talk to. Most important, find someone that will hold you accountable and ensure you are on track. In my case, accountability changed everything and it put me on a path back to wholeness and happiness.

I wish the same for all of you, regardless of your struggle.

Thank you for watching this video.

Best,
Justin Paperny


jp@whitecollaradvice.com - 818-424-2220
Visit to access our federal prison blogs




Phone : - +1 818-424-2220

4500 Park Granada, Suite 202

Calabasas, CA 91302 California

life in federal prison,federal prison consultant,michael santos,justin paperny,white collar crime,white collar advice,residential drug abuse program,white collar crime prison,white collar crime sentencing,lessons in business from prison,justin paperny youtube,college scandal loughlin,college scandal sentence,resilientcourses,federal prison camp,life in federal prison white-collar,Don't Let Your Short Federal Prison Term Become A Life Sentence,prison professors,

Post a Comment

0 Comments