Advertisement

Record No 50 Combination Plane Restoration.

Record No 50 Combination Plane Restoration. In this video I will be restoring a record no 50 plough plane. For this restoration I wanted to try a couple of new things. First was sandblasting and second nickel plating.
Over the last few weeks I have been destroying and rebuilding my tiny workshop to accommodate a well needed sand blaster. This video was it’s maiden voyage.
Since I was trying to learn new skills this restoration was a true test of patience. My first attempt at making a nickel electrolyte failed. Thankfully the second attempt was a success.
After dismantling and blasting all the parts it was time to attempt plating. Prior to plating I cleaned the parts in a 50/50 solution of water and hydrochloric acid followed by a rinse in clean water. Since this was my first time plating I could hardly see any difference in the finish. However the nickel was disappearing so I must have been doing something right. After many hours of plating the parts were done and ready to assemble. As I started assembling I realised the tool was missing a depth gauge. Although this part isn’t always needed I was slightly disappointed in myself for not recognising it earlier. Thankfully the rest of the parts went back together and I was able to plane a relatively nice channel.

I hope you enjoy the video and subscribe for more restorations.


Here is a link to the blast cabinet I bought.



This cabinet didn’t come with instructions. Patience is required to assemble.


Compressor used: Hyundai HY3150S

restoration,record,plane,woodwork,sandblast,nickelplating,

Post a Comment

0 Comments